There is a much higher probability that the other driver will not carry enough insurance to pay your damages. In Ohio, the minimum amount of liability insurance drivers are required to carry is $25,000 to cover injuries and medical costs for a single person and $50,000 to cover all people injured in an accident, which may not be enough coverage for your injuries.

What If The Other Driver Is Uninsured Or Underinsured?, Sandel Law Firm

Who Will Pay For My Injuries?

In Ohio, your auto insurance company is required to offer you uninsured motorist (UM) and underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage up to the amount of liability insurance you carry. Since UM/UIM insurance is insurance you buy for yourself and your family, you should buy enough to protect your family from hardship if you are injured by an uninsured driver. Please keep in mind that UM and UIM coverage is optional or extra coverage that does not automatically come on a basic auto insurance policy in Ohio – you have to ask your agent to add it on your policy.

When you file an uninsured motorist or underinsured motorist claim, you will file the claim with your own insurance company. The fact that you are dealing with your own insurance company does not mean it will be nicer to you than another driver’s insurance company. To recover the maximum compensation you are due, you should hire an attorney to represent you in negotiations with your insurance company.

In Ohio, your insurance company cannot raise your rates if you file a UM/UIM claim as long as you were not at fault for the accident.

WE OFFER FREE consultation

Talk To A Lawyer About Uninsured And Uninsured Driver Accidents Today

To schedule a free consultation, call toll free 844-SNDL-LAW (763-5529) or 330-666-2889 (ATTY). You can also use the form on this website to email me directly.

Learn More About

What Insider Knowledge
Can Do For You

At the Sandel Law Firm, there is no cost to discuss your case with an experienced attorney. I offer a free initial consultation to explain your rights and answer your questions. Call 330-666-2889 (ATTY) in Akron or 440-772-1000 in Cleveland.

Free Case Evaluation

Fields marked with an * are required

  • Disclaimer Privacy Policy
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.