If you or a family member is injured in an accident, the insurance company of the other driver is already trying to find ways to limit the compensation you are due.
Insurance companies have trained adjusters and attorneys. Their job is to settle your claim as quickly and as cheaply as possible. Do not get fooled by an early cash offer to settle your claim.
To protect your right to full compensation, follow these steps after an accident.
- If you are injured, you must act quickly to get the necessary medical treatment you need. This avoids the argument that you delayed getting medical care.
- Report the accident to both insurance companies. Do not make a recorded statement. If you make a recorded statement, the insurance company will try to use it against you later.
- Take or have someone take photos of vehicle damage, preferably of both cars.
- Call the police. One of the worst mistakes you can make is trusting someone who says, “Don’t call the police. I’ll pay for everything.”
- If there are witnesses, get their names and phone numbers. Don’t count on the police to do this for you.
- Get a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer.
At the Sandel Law Firm in Akron, Ohio, we offer a free initial consultation to explain your rights and answer your questions.