Riding a bicycle seems like a joyful adventure on the road. It’s good exercise and a fun hobby. However, as cars speed by and turns become fierce, one must ask, how dangerous is riding a bike? In other words, how likely are you to get into a bicycle accident in Ohio? That’s what this article from Sandel Law Firm will discuss.
Below, in the following paragraphs, we will cover bicycle accident fatality statistics, leading causes of accidents, and more. Continue reading below for more information on bicycle accidents.
Bicycle Accident Fatalities on Ohio Roads
Approximately 938 bicyclists lost their lives in 2020 alone, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. This is a sharp increase from 2018, when we hit a 28-year high for fatal bicycle accidents at 857. Which at that time was the most significant number since 1990. On a smaller scale, the data also tells us that 55 fatal bicycle accidents occurred on Ohio roads.
The new shocking 2020 statistic paints a worrisome picture for each cyclist on the road. And it indicates the need for riders to be more cautious than ever when they venture out. So that they may avoid becoming another rider put in harm’s way.
Leading Causes of Bicycle Accidents in the Recent Years
While no party can identify any single cause, several variables likely impact the number of riders killed in accidents. Here are some of the most probable causes:
- Popularity. Surprising as it may be, the popularity of biking has skyrocketed over the last few years. In New York alone, there are nearly 800,000 bicyclists who ride every day, and Ohio is hardly different. Overall, there are more cyclists on the road than ever and more chances for accidents. (NYC DOT)
- More distractions equal more distracted drivers. As technology continues to explode, there are more ways to distract drivers than ever. Each driver has a smartphone, a smartwatch, and in many cases, a smart car. All of this technology helps our lives become more convenient. However, behind the wheel of a vehicle, they distract us from our surroundings and leave us vulnerable to accidents.
- More vehicles on the road. Just as there are more bikes on the road, there are more vehicles than ever. According to Statista, there are about 276,000,000 vehicles on the road today. And each one has the potential to cause a fatal bicycle crash. Each driver nowadays must use the utmost driving safety.
An Injured Cyclists May be Entitled To These Forms of Compensation
Were you recently in a bicycle accident? Here are the forms of compensation that you may be entitled to receive:
- Medical Expenses Compensation
- Therapy and other ongoing care
- Compensation for lost earning capacity
- Compensation for Pain and suffering
If you need help from a bicycle accident attorney, we can help. At Sandel Law Firm, we will fight to ensure that you receive the compensation that you rightfully deserve. Contact us today for a free, no-obligation consultation.